Sunday 4 July 2021

Beware of a VERY well made phishing scam on steam


This appears to be a new one, as I can't find anything about it online, and it looks super legit, so I just almost fell for it, and I'm pretty vigilant normally.Thought this would be a good place to make people aware but apologies if not appropriate for the sub.Basically one of your steam friends will send you a message saying something like "hey, could you do me a favor and vote for my buddy in this competition?",and send you a link to a legit looking website that appears to be affiliated with ASUS ROG. I won't name the site here because it's obviously risky.The site looks professionally made and has a "log in through steam" link on the top right.If you click it, it will appear to open a browser pop-up with steamcommunity.com URL (which is a legit site, and prompt for your login and password. At this point I was a little suspicious, but because the URL is steamcommunity.com, I thought it was legit and entered my steam user name and password.Except the browser pop up with the URL wasn't actually a new browser window, but just an element on the site made to look almost exactly like it.Then steamguard sent me an email and the login IP was in Russia, so I immediately went into Steam changed my password and logged out of all devices.Screenshot of the site and login prompt:​https://ift.tt/3dGE09U More info: https://ift.tt/36fsuhT

No comments:

Post a Comment